Last year Friday Morning Coffee — 2/8/19 brought you The Return of The Rotten Olives. Now that we know the nominees for the Oscars, I give you my choices. My requirements are that the nominee must entertain, be fun, or, at least, educate.
- Ford v Ferrari — no film was more entertaining, fun and educational.
- 1917 — a very close second, unique in its presentation
- Little Women — done well, with a new spin
- Marriage Story — when divorce attorneys are the heroes, no Oscars
- The Irishman — too much fiction pretending to be history
- Once Upon A Time in Hollywood — ditto
- Parasite — better than Uncut Gems, barely
- Joker, Jojo Rabbit — didn’t see, probably won’t
- Jonathan Pryce — won’t win but excellent
- Adam Driver — why would you ever divorce Scarlett Johannson?
- Leonardo DiCaprio — He’s had better roles and performances
- Joaquin Phoenix — magnificent just in the trailers
- Antonio Banderas — didn’t see him, either
- Renee Zellweger — took a risk and aced it!
- Saoirse Ronan — terrific in everything she does
- Charlize Theron — good, but the makeup was even better
- Cynthia Erivo — I thought the acting was a little too one-note
- Scarlett Johansson — why would she ever marry Adam Driver?
- Anthony Hopkins — won’t win but equally excellent to Pryce
- Tom Hanks — almost as good as the original
- Al Pacino and Joe Pesci (tie) — they invented these roles, nothing new
- Brad Pitt — Like DiCaprio, he’s had better roles and performances
- Laura Dern — she’d make a good divorce lawyer
- Kathy Bates — Not her best but still very good
- Florence Pugh — getting bigger and better parts as time goes by
- Margot Robbie — versatile, but will shine as Harley Quinn
- Scarlett Johansson — trailer was just too weird
Schedule of Upcoming Reviews:
Friday January 31 — Rhythm Section
Saturday February 1 — Despite The Falling Snow
Tuesday February 4 — The King