Previously TMJ discussed Best Picture. Now the actors. The Oliver goes to:
1. Denzel Washington — While I hated Fences , Denzel is marvelous to watch. He glares, he snaps, he then makes you think he has a little kindness in him, and then you hate him again. Not likely to win, but he is THE BEST!
2. Ryan Gosling — The actor who goes against typecast is always going to be in the running. La La Land likely to win another?
3. Andre Garfield — Long way to come for Spiderman! Can’t imagine anyone else playing this role in Hacksaw Ridge.
4. Viggo Mortensen — I didn’t see this movie. (Nocturnal Animals)
5. Casey Affleck — Note that I did see this movie and put him behind Viggo. I was not impressed with Affleck or the movie, apparently unlike the Academy.
Best Supporting Actor
1. Jeff Bridges — He probably should have been in Best Actor category. No one plays the old sheriff better. You should see Hell or High water.
2. Mahershala Ali — Very good but only in one-third of Moonlight.
3. Dev Patel — Good but only in one-half of Lion.
4. Michael Shannon — Did not see movie. (Captain Fantastic)
5. Lucas Hedges — He was good in Manchester by the Sea, but did I mention that I did not like the movie. Of course, I didn’t like Fences but he is no Denzel.
Next up: The Actresses